Data Source Names are textual strings used by application programs to reference data sources. ODBC data sources store information about how to connect to the indicated data provider (i.e. Microsoft SQL database).
NOTE: You must provide a unique identifier for each data source. In other words, the name that you select for your DSN (Data Source Name) must be unique. It may take up to one hour for changes to take effect.
Here’s how to create a DSN using the Manage DSN Records application:
You can create MSSQL, MySQL or MS Access Data Source Names using this tool however, before doing so you will need to upload the MS Access file to the server.
- Click on the "Add" button. A Create popup window will become active on the right hand side.
- Enter your Data Source Prefix (required).
- Choose a database type from the drop-down menu.
- Choose a language: ASP or ASP.NET. from the drop-down menu.
- Select an .mdb file from the database drop-down menu (required).
- Click "Apply" to create new data source name
- Click" Cancel" to dismiss all changes.
To Upload a database:
- Click "Browse" in order to locate your file that you wish to upload.
- Click "Upload" to upload the file.
Here’s how to delete a DSN:
- From the Available Data Source Names list, select the DSN you wish to delete.
- Click the Remove button.