Introduction to EasyLiveChat
The EasyLiveChat application allows you to set up online chatting to handle services such as technical support and general inquiries. Up to four chat agents can be set up; each agent may handle up to four chat sessions simultaneously.
To install EasyLiveChat, click on the installation link.
After EasyLiveChat has been installed, you will be presented with the following options:
- Configure EasyLiveChat: Clicking this link takes you to the configuration interface, which consists of five tabs, described in detail in other sections.
- Agent login: This link opens a new window, allowing a user to log in to the Agent chat interface.
- Client login: This link allows a user to enter the client chat interface. Other methods of accessing this interface are described in the section titled "The Setup Tab".
- Uninstall EasyLiveChat: Clicking this link will uninstall EasyLiveChat. All of your EasyLiveChat settings will be lost.
At the bottom of this screen, there are also a set of shortcuts. Clicking on these shortcuts performs the following functions:
- Add an agent: Clicking this link takes the user directly to the "Add an agent" interface, found under the "Agents" tab.
- View my transcripts: This link takes the user directly to the "transcripts" tab.
- Modify my setup: Clicking this link takes the user directly to the "Setup" tab.
The Agents Tab
A chat agent is a user who has been granted access to receive chat requests from clients. Through this interface, you can add, edit, and delete chat agents.
To add an agent, click on the "Add..." button. The following information can be entered for agents (required fields marked with a *):
Name: this will be the agent's username. The agent's name must be alphanumeric (only letters and numbers), and cannot contain any spaces.
Password: this will be the agent's password when logging in to the Chat Agent interface.
Maximum chats: this is the maximum number of simultaneous chat sessions the agent can have. A maximum of four is allowed; by default, it is set to one.
Survey: this menu indicates which customer survey an agent is running. By default, this is set to "None". For more information on surveys, see the help topic titled The Surveys tab.
Email address: the agent's contact email address should be entered here.
- To add another agent, click "add next".
- To add the current agent and return to the agent list, click "finish".
- To abort adding the current agent, click "cancel".
To edit agents, place checkmarks beside the agents you wish to edit, and click the "Edit..." button. You will be shown agent information for each agent you have selected, one at a time.
- If you have chosen to edit multiple agents, click "next" to save edited agent information and display the next agent you wanted to edit.
- When you have reached the last agent in your selection, or if you are only editing one agent, click the "finish" button to save your changes.
- Clicking "cancel" aborts the editing process; any modified information for the current agent will not be saved.
Place checkmarks beside the agents you want to delete, and click "delete". You will be asked to confirm the deletion. Click "yes" to delete the agents you have selected.
The Responses Tab
Responses are "canned" responses which can be set up for agents to use when they are in a chat. These bits of predefined text can be important URLs or responses to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), allowing agents to provide clients information quickly and in a consistent manner.
You can also organize your responses into categories and subcategories that you create; however, it is not necessary to assign a response to a category.
To add a category, click the "add..." button, located below the category list. This will take you an interface which will allow you to enter as many category names as you like.
- Enter a category name, and select the location in which the category will be placed, using the "location" drop-down menu. Selecting "../" will create a new category. Selecting an existing category from the location menu will place your new category inside the selected category, making it a subcategory. Only two "levels" of categorization can be created.
- Click "add next" to add another category.
- Click "finish" to save the current category name and location, and stop adding categories.
- Click "cancel" to stop adding categories, without saving the current category name and location.
To change the name of one or more categories, select the categories you want to rename from the list. You can use the control (CTRL) key on your keyboard to select multiple nonadjacent entries in the list. Click the "edit..." button to begin renaming the categories you have selected.
- Rename and/or relocate the currently displayed category and click "next" to edit another category.
- Click "finish" to save the current category name and stop editing categories.
- Click "cancel" to stop editing categories, without saving the current category name (if it was changed).
To delete a category, select the category you want to remove from the list. Click the "delete" button to delete categories. You will be asked to confirm the deletion. Click "yes" to complete the deletion process. Any responses that belonged to the deleted category will be reassigned to "none".
To add a response, click the "add..." button, located below the "responses" list. This will take you an interface which will allow you to enter as many responses as you like.
- Indicate the response type (text or URL). Enter a response name and then the text or URL you want to use for the response. Using the location drop-down menu, select the category or subcategory you want the response to be placed inside. Selecting "../" will place the response outside any category, causing them to appear at the top of the list, before any categories.
- Click "add next" to add another response.
- Click "finish" to save the current response and stop adding responses.
- Click "cancel" to stop adding responses, without saving the current response.
To edit one or more responses, first select the category they are under. In the "responses list", you can use the control (CTRL) key on your keyboard to select multiple nonadjacent entries in the list. Click the "edit..." button to begin editing the responses you have selected.
- Rename and/or relocate the response. Using the location drop-down menu, select the category or subcategory you want the response to be placed inside. Selecting "../" will place the response outside any category, causing them to appear at the top of the list, before any categories. You can also place responses inside categories or subcategories.
- Click "next" to edit another response.
- Click "finish" to save the current response and stop editing responses.
- Click "cancel" to stop editing responses, without saving any changes you may have made to the current response.
To delete one or more responses, first select the category they are under. From the "responses" list, select the responses you want to remove. You can use the control (CTRL) key on your keyboard to select multiple nonadjacent entries. Click the "delete" button to delete the selected responses. You will be asked to confirm the deletion. Click "yes" to complete the deletion process.
The Surveys Tab
Under this tab, you can set up, edit or delete surveys. You can also view statistics for surveys which have been filled out by customers.
To add a survey, click on the "add..." button to create a new survey. Type the name of the survey in the field provided, then click "finish". To add questions to your new survey, refer to the Editing surveys section below.
To add, remove, or edit questions in a survey, select the survey you want to edit and click "edit..."
Adding questions to a survey
To add a new question to a survey, click "add...". You will be asked to enter the new question, and select possible answers from the "choices" list. You can select multiple nonadjacent choices by holding the control (Ctrl) key on your keyboard when selecting responses.
- If your choices list is empty, or you want to add more choices to choose from, use the "add choices" button beside the "choices" list.
- You can also delete choices by clicking "delete choices". If you have a survey which has been filled out by customers, you cannot delete any choices used by the survey until you reset the survey data. For more information see the section below titled Checking survey results.
To save your question and add another, click on "add next". Click "finish" to save your current question and return to the survey list. "Cancel" returns you to the survey list without saving the current question.
Editing questions in a survey
To edit a questions in a survey, place a checkmark beside the questions you want to edit and click on "edit...". You will be shown the survey questions one at a time.
- When you are finished editing a question, click on "next" to edit the next question.
- Click "finish' to save the current question and stop editing questions.
- Click "cancel" to stop editing questions, without saving any changes you may have made to the question currently displayed.
If you have a survey which has been filled out by customers, you cannot alter any question responses until you reset the survey data. For more information see the section below titled Viewing survey results.
Deleting questions from a survey
To delete questions from a survey, place a checkmark beside the questions you want to delete, and then click "delete". You will be asked to confirm the deletion. Click "yes" to finish deleting the questions you have selected.
Select the survey you want to delete, and then click "delete". You will be asked to confirm the deletion. Click "yes" to complete the process.
Viewing survey results
Under the Surveys tab, select a survey and click on "show results...". You will see the number of respondents, as well as a breakdown of the answers that were selected in percentages and actual numbers.
- To reset survey results, click on "reset survey".
- To return to the survey list, click "finish".
The Transcripts Tab
The Transcripts tab allows users to view logs of all chat sessions which have been conducted by chat agents. The date, time, and agent name is listed for each chat log. To view a specific log, click on the corresponding "view" link. A new window will open, displaying the contents of the chat session.
Please note that chat sessions which are still ongoing will not appear under the transcripts tab until they have been closed.
The Setup Tab
Under this tab, you can configure the color scheme and branding of EasyLiveChat's agent and client interfaces. These interfaces can be customized as follows:
Visitor/Agent theme: To modify a color in either color scheme, click on the appropriate color picker icon to select a color from the color palette; alternately, if you are familiar with entering colors using hexadecimal code, you can enter the exact colors you would like to use in the text boxes provided.
Logo: To display a company logo or other image in the agent and client chat interfaces, enter a URL which points to an image in the "logo" text box.
- Example: if you have a logo in the /public/images/ directory of "mydomain.com" called "mylogo.jpg", you would enter mydomain.com/images/mylogo.jpg in the "logo" text box. Note that the /public/ directory is not entered as part of the URL.
Chat subject label: In the chat client login, the text label which is displayed above the problem description textbox is customizable (the default is "please briefly describe your issue"). You can enter your custom text here.
Service Message: Using this text box, you can display a custom message to clients if there are currently no agents logged in.
Support email: When there are no agents logged in, clients are given the option of sending an email. Emails will be sent to the address specified in this textbox.
Chat language: Using the drop-down menu provided, you can indicate what language you would like your client and agent interfaces to be displayed in. Custom text you have entered will be unaffected by this setting.
Allow chat session transfers between agents: Checking this box allows chat Agents to transfer a chat session to another Agent. The Agent receiving the chat transfer request may decline the transfer, in which case the chat session is not transferred.
Clients are initially asked: This section allows up to four pre-chat questions to be asked of clients before they can request a chat session. There are three preset question types, "name", "email", and "issue". If you want to create one or more custom questions, select "other" in the dropdown menus for one or more questions. Select "none" to disable a question. E.g.: if you only want to ask two questions, then two of the four slots should be set to "none". The answers to these questions are automatically displayed for chat Agents. When clients are waiting in the chat queue.
Automatically email transcripts to clients...: Selecting this checkbox will email chat session transcripts to clients after the chat session has ended. Before this option will work, however, the "support email" section must have been filled out under the Setup tab, and one of the four pre-chat questions must be set to "email".
The Agent Interface
The agent login URL can be found on the splash screen of the EasyLiveChat application (the first screen that appears when the application is opened). You can either click on the link or copy it into a browser's address bar; it is not necessary to access the agent login via the EasyLiveChat WebsiteOS application.
At the login screen, enter your username and password, and click "login".
Answering a chat request
Users waiting for a chat session are listed in the top-right corner of the agent interface. To speak to a client, click on the "engage user" button. The client that has been waiting the longest will be chosen first. The client's name will be displayed on a tab on the left-hand side. If your account has been allowed more than one chat session, you can have more than one chat session open at a time; each client will be assigned a tab in your chat interface.
To send a message to a client, type your message in the text box provided and click "send". If preset responses have been set up, you can paste them into your text area by clicking once on the desired response. The text will be automatically placed in your message text box, allowing you to edit it (if desired) before using the "send" button to send it to the client.
Transferring a chat to another agent
If another agent is online and is not currently engaged in the maximum number of chat sessions allowed, you can transfer your chat to that agent. Select the agent from the drop-down menu above the message text box, and click on "transfer". Your client (along with a transcript of your conversion) will be transferred to the selected agent. Please note that only the chat tab currently selected will be transferred.
Ending a chat session
To close a chat session, click on the "end chat" button.
The Client Interface
Note: This help section is not intended for website visitors who request chat sessions; it is intended solely for the edification of the individual(s) who are setting up and configuring the EasyLiveChat application.
Requesting a chat
The chat request URL can be found on the splash screen of the EasyLiveChat application (the first screen that appears when the application is opened). You can click on the link if you wish to test the interface; however, you should place this URL as a link in your website, allowing visitors to your site to make chat requests. For best results, set the link to open in a new browser window.
When a user clicks on the chat request link, they will be asked a set of initial questions which you defined under the Setup tab. If you also checked "ask for email address", then your clients can be emailed transcripts of their chat sessions.
After the initial questions have been asked they user will be put into the client queue, where an agent will be able to see the client and initiate a chat.
Once a chat session has begun, the client can send text messages by typing them in the provided field and clicking "send". If the client wishes, a chat session can be terminated by clicking "end chat".